11/04/2020 08:00 #8308Jessica Quick
A Romance of Many Dimensions
by Edwin A. Abbott, Banesh Hoffmann
- Characters: A Square, The King of Lineland, A Sphere
- Language: english
- Format: paperback, 96 pages
- ISBN: 9780486272634 (048627263X)
- Genres: fiction, classics, mathematics, fantasy, philosophy, literature, novels, physics
- Author: Edwin A. Abbott, Banesh Hoffmann
- Publisher: Dover Publications, Inc.
- Release date: September 21, 1992
- Places: Flatland, Lineland, Spaceland
About The Book
This masterpiece of science (and mathematical) fiction is a delightfully unique and highly entertaining satire that has charmed readers for more than 100 years. The work of English clergyman, educator and Shakespearean scholar Edwin A. Abbott (1838-1926), it describes the journeys of A. Square [sic — ed.], a mathematician and resident of the two-dimensional Flatland, where women-thin, straight lines-are the lowliest of shapes, and where men may have any number of sides, depending on their social status.
Through strange occurrences that bring him into contact with a host of geometric forms, Square has adventures in Spaceland (three dimensions), Lineland (one dimension) and Pointland (no dimensions) and ultimately entertains thoughts of visiting a land of four dimensions — a revolutionary idea for which he is returned to his two-dimensional world. Charmingly illustrated by the author, Flatland is not only fascinating reading, it is still a first-rate fictional introduction to the concept of the multiple dimensions of space. “Instructive, entertaining, and stimulating to the imagination.” — Mathematics Teacher.
TXT Flatland Edwin A. Abbott buy cheap. Paperback ebook Flatland read online iPad on Booktopia. FictionBook book Flatland download on Books-a-Million.