11/08/2020 04:40 #9109Bella Karczner
Men We Reaped
by Jesmyn Ward
- ISBN: 9781608195213 (160819521X)
- Language: english
- Author: Jesmyn Ward
- Release date: September 17, 2013
- Genres: memoir, race, biography, adult, autobiography
- Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
- Awards: Chicago Tribune Heartland Prize for Nonfiction (2014), Dayton Literary Peace Prize Nominee for NonFiction (2014), National Book Critics Circle Award Nominee for Autobiography (2013), Hurston/Wright Legacy Award Nominee for Nonfiction (2014), Mississippi Institute of Arts and Letters Award for Nonfiction (2014)
- Format: hardcover, 256 pages
About The Book
‘…And then we heard the rain falling, and that was the drops of blood falling; and when we came to get the crops, it was dead men that we reaped.’ Harriet Tubman
In five years, Jesmyn Ward lost five men in her life, to drugs, accidents, suicide, and the bad luck that can follow people who live in poverty, particularly black men. Dealing with these losses, one after another, made Jesmyn ask the question: why? And as she began to write about the experience of living through all the dying, she realized the truth — and it took her breath away. Her brother and her friends all died because of who they were and where they were from, because they lived with a history of racism and economic struggle that fostered drug addiction and the dissolution of family and relationships. Jesmyn says the answer was so obvious she felt stupid for not seeing it. But it nagged at her until she knew she had to write about her community, to write their stories and her own.
Jesmyn grew up in poverty in rural Mississippi. She writes powerfully about the pressures this brings, on the men who can do no right and the women who stand in for family in a society where the men are often absent. She bravely tells her story, revisiting the agonizing losses of her only brother and her friends. As the sole member of her family to leave home and pursue high education, she writes about this parallel American universe with the objectivity distance provides and the intimacy of utter familiarity.
EPUB book Men We Reaped on Kindle on Audible. PDF Men We Reaped Jesmyn Ward download. TXT ebook Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward buy Mac.