11/08/2020 18:00 #9232Beth Lucas
A Passage to India
by E.M. Forster, Oliver Stallybrass, Pankaj Mishra
- Publisher: Penguin Books
- Format: paperback, 376 pages
- Genres: classics, fiction, india, literature, novels, historical
- Characters: Adela Quested, Ronny Heaslop, Mrs. Moore, Dr. Aziz, Cyril Fielding
- Author: E.M. Forster, Oliver Stallybrass, Pankaj Mishra
- Places: Chandrapore, India
- ISBN: 9780141441160 (014144116X)
- Awards: James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Fiction (1924), Prix Femina Vie Heureuse Anglais (1925)
- Language: english
- Release date: August 30, 2005
About The Book
When Adela Quested and her elderly companion Mrs Moore arrive in the Indian town of Chandrapore, they quickly feel trapped by its insular and prejudiced ‘Anglo-Indian’ community. Determined to escape the parochial English enclave and explore the ‘real India’, they seek the guidance of the charming and mercurial Dr Aziz, a cultivated Indian Muslim. But a mysterious incident occurs while they are exploring the Marabar caves with Aziz, and the well-respected doctor soon finds himself at the centre of a scandal that rouses violent passions among both the British and their Indian subjects. A masterful portrait of a society in the grip of imperialism, A Passage to India compellingly depicts the fate of individuals caught between the great political and cultural conflicts of the modern world.
In his introduction, Pankaj Mishra outlines Forster’s complex engagement with Indian society and culture. This edition reproduces the Abinger text and notes, and also includes four of Forster’s essays on India, a chronology and further reading.
FictionBook ebook A Passage to India download on Walmart. PDF A Passage to India by E.M. Forster read online on reader. EPUB book A Passage to India E.M. Forster buy cheap Android on Book Depository. Online A Passage to India.