11/06/2020 20:15 #8827Charlie Smith
by Denis Diderot, Russell Goulbourne
- Release date: July 28, 2005
- ISBN: 9780192804303 (0192804308)
- Author: Denis Diderot, Russell Goulbourne
- Places: France
- Language: english
- Format: paperback, 189 pages
- Genres: classics, fiction, france, religion, literature, philosophy, novels, school
- Characters: Suzanne Simonin, Mother de Moni, Sister Sainte-Christine, Monsieur Manouri, Sister Ursule
- Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA
About The Book
Diderot’s The Nun (La Religieuse) is the seemingly true story of a young girl forced by her parents to enter a convent and take holy orders. A novel mingling mysticism, madness, sadistic cruelty and nascent sexuality, it gives a scathing insight into the effects of forced vocations and the unnatural life of the convent. A succès de scandale at the end of the eighteenth century, it has attracted and unsettled readers ever since. For Diderot’s novel is not simply a story of a young girl with a bad habit; it is also a powerfully emblematic fable about oppression and intolerance.
This new translation includes Diderot’s all-important prefatory material, which he placed, disconcertingly, at the end of the novel, and which turns what otherwise seems like an exercise in realism into what is now regarded as a masterpiece of proto-modernist fiction.
FB2 The Nun buy cheap on Mac on IndieBound. EPUB book The Nun Denis Diderot read online. MOBI ebook The Nun by Denis Diderot.